Stachys 'Hummelo' - my fave rave....


Japanese Varigated Iris and Stachys 'Hummelo' photo by Jan Johnsen

I must admit I develop plant infatuations..and just as in my life, the quiet hard-to-get-to-know types fascinate me....

this time it is Stachys officinalis 'Hummelo'


Iris pallida varigata, flower carpet roses,and gomphrena 'Buddy Purple' photo by Jan Johnsen

It is a Stachys cultivar (its cousin is the famous 'Lamb's ears') and it is a low growing, clumping perennial groundcover, growing no more than 20" high. It has the most wonderful glossy dark green scalloped leaves growing in a tight rosette pattern. It looks as if someone took those scalloping shears to their edges.


Hummelo has scalloped leaves - like this

Hummelo - my name for this plant -  is easily grown in average, medium, well-drained soils in full sun or part shade. It spreads by creeping stems (stolons) that root as they go along the ground. The leaves are evergreen in warm winter climates.



They say that Hummelo is grown primarily for its vivid flowers which can provide a spectacular display, particularly when massed .  But I also love its leaves.

Hummelo is a lovely addition to a rose / rock garden as shown below.

I added the Flower Carpet Rose 'Pink Supreme' and it has become the star of the show in this lovely rock outcrop garden:



But first I added a lot of compost and soil....its all about the soil....







Comments

  1. I had Stachys Monnieri Hummelo in my last home and it does flower profusely in a dusty pink. My only con would be that it does not flower for very long and deadheading does not promote rebloom.

    It is still worth having for its compactness and leaf form.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pink Supreme and Scarlet Flower Carpets are still blooming here in Vermont even after 2 hard frosts. I love learning about new plants ('Hummelo') - thanks for a wonderful blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. and the Hummelos are still looking great - and it is the end of October in NY!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear from you....

Popular Posts of all Time

Angelface Blue and Dark Violet Angelonia - a Flower that Keeps Giving

Planting Design for Dry Gardens by Olivier Filippi

'Purple Smoke' - The best Baptisia

No-Fail Tips for Turning Hydrangeas Blue!

Repurposed and Recycled - Creative Ideas for Garden Design

The Magnificent Purslane - Edible Landscaping at its best!

My one day Class Wednesday April 16 in NY - Jan Johnsen