Claude Monet - Master Gardener

 
“My garden is my most beautiful masterpiece”    
Claude Monet 
        
photo - IMG_1703 by kpsway on Flickr
   
The French painter, Claude Monet (1840 – 1926) loved to paint his landscape paintings outside in Nature.

His 'plein-air' approach allowed him to connect directly with his subject matter and he reveled in the majesty of the moment.

 
 
Monet's love of the green world extended to his expansive garden, Giverny, 45 miles outside of Paris, where many of his paintings were created over the years.  His masterful use of light and color showed itself fully in the masterpieces created here.



He spotted the village of Giverny from a train while travelling through Normandy.  NPR writes, "He looked out the window and saw this charming village. So he just got off the train." Monet learned that a local carpenter had recently inherited a farm that he didn't need. Monet rented it in 1883 and lived there until his death in 1926.


 
From the incredible beauty of the purple wisteria draping lightly over his green bridge to the bright nasturtiums climbing profusely over the long arches, Monet's Giverny has become synonymous with luscious color and peaceful serenity in the garden.
 
 
Claude Monet's quotes about gardens and color best reflect his thoughts and motivations. They reveal an inspired soul who loved to share his wonder of Nature's glories with others in the best way he could.


photo - giverny.org


Here are few of Monet's thoughts as they relate to gardens and painting.
 
from bjws.blogspot.com
 

“I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers.”  

photo- gardeninacity blog 
 
"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. ”


 
“I would like to paint the way a bird sings.”  
 
Morning on the Seine near Giverny - Monet


“My work is always better when I am alone and follow my own impressions.”



“I am only good at two things, and those are: gardening and painting.”

 


“Color is my day-long obsession, joy and torment.”
 
 

“I must have flowers, always, and always.”  



“The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding. ”

 
 
 
 
 

Comments

  1. Monet's garden is my absolute favorite. I was lucky enough to get to visit it about 12 years ago, and it is still one of the highlights of my life. I felt like one of those groupies at a rock concert when I was there, so excited just to be in front of that famously painted bridge. It was so serene. Until it started raining and everyone ran for the gift shop, where it was anything but serene...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! I don't think he planned for the gift shop.

      Delete
  2. I would so love to visit Monet's gardens some day ... definitely on my to do list! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I was in Paris and never went! what a mistake. I still regret it.

      Delete
  3. Life imitating art imitating life....I have read books about his gardens (and his masterpieces) which translates that gardens are truly living masterpieces... as he implied...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear from you....

Popular Posts of all Time

Angelface Blue and Dark Violet Angelonia - a Flower that Keeps Giving

Planting Design for Dry Gardens by Olivier Filippi

'Purple Smoke' - The best Baptisia

No-Fail Tips for Turning Hydrangeas Blue!

Repurposed and Recycled - Creative Ideas for Garden Design

The Magnificent Purslane - Edible Landscaping at its best!

My one day Class Wednesday April 16 in NY - Jan Johnsen