Summer Solstice and the Catalpa Tree - Garden Photo of the day


Catalpa tree flowers - source: Kansas Native Plants 

Did you know that the Catalpa Tree drops its flowers, which look like orchids, on the Summer Solstice?

Catalpas are the last to leaf out and their flowers tell us when the longest day of the year is. On this day they fall like snow...

The Catawba Indians of Upstate New York, where the Catalpa is native, regarded this tree as sacred.  There is a great story about how they were seeded all over the midwest:  The Great Catalpa Craze. 

I love Christine Agro's messages and mandalas. Here is her 'Catalpa meditation':

source: Catalpa: Be In Tune With Nature




Comments

  1. Thanks Jan for sharing the Catalpa Mandala!
    Our tree this year was so beautiful and those flowers...I was trying to peg the scent...something similar to orange blossoms maybe? What do you think?
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good description.. I grew up in an apartment building and had a close up view of this gorgeous tree outside my window. I always waited for the flowers....

      Delete
  2. They grow here in Austin and I saw some earlier this spring for the first time. I love the fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear from you....

Popular Posts of all Time

Angelface Blue and Dark Violet Angelonia - a Flower that Keeps Giving

Planting Design for Dry Gardens by Olivier Filippi

'Purple Smoke' - The best Baptisia

No-Fail Tips for Turning Hydrangeas Blue!

Repurposed and Recycled - Creative Ideas for Garden Design

The Magnificent Purslane - Edible Landscaping at its best!

My one day Class Wednesday April 16 in NY - Jan Johnsen